Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving in Edinburgh

Much to my dismay nobody over here knows the wonderfulness that is thanksgiving. I have tried to explain it and have told the pilgrim and indian story more times than I can count, but it is more about the traditions and the happy memories than anything else. I mean how do you describe the feelings of growing up looking forward to the turkey and dressing at the grandparent's house every year and being together with the family, watching the Macy's Parade and the football game... all of these things together that make thanksgiving my favorite holiday.

But, yes, it is a very American holiday, one that is not appreciated or celebrated by the rest of the world... So, to share this part of myself with my friends here, I decided to cook a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner.

This was a challenge for several reasons... For example, they just don't eat much turkey over here... I looked in several supermarkets, and turkey is just nowhere to be found. Also, I don't cook!!!! at all!!!! I mean, usually when I attemp to cook, something gets burned (the food on a good day, the kitchen on a not so good day). And I had no recipes... I just had some general ideas about my favorite dishes that I couldn't live without on thanksgiving... dressing (Mama, I hope you saved me some of yours :), green bean casserole, sweet potato souffle, mashed potatoes, gravy, bread rolls...

I know what you are thinking right now... There is no way that she pulled it off... She burned herself, the kitchen, the food... I mean, this is Rachel in the kitchen we are talking about here... :)

But I am here to tell you that for that one day, I was a domestic goddess... It was so funny as all of my friends were sitting around the table watching me finish up... I definitely felt like the mom... I don't know how I got promoted so fast from my usual job of putting ice in the glasses!!! :)

And it actually turned out to be one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever... There was about 14 of us in all crammed around a table meant for 8, eating off of plastic mismatched hostel dishes instead of Granny's china... but I think we all felt like a family that night... all sitting around together... everybody laughing, talking, taking pictures... Because just like any family, it is a rare and special occassion when everybody is acually in one place at one time, just enjoying being together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home