Thursday, February 08, 2007

SNOW!!!

It started last night. We looked out of the window and saw some snowflakes. The we looked again and the snowflakes were getting bigger. This time we got excited enough to open a window and stick our heads out. Then on my way to meet some friends, I noticed that it was sticking in some places... (just wait, it keeps getting better...)

The snowflakes were still steadily coming down on my way back home, bigger than ever, and even more beautiful that before. It was such a beautiful feeling, just trudging through the snow on the Royal Mile, catching a big one on my tongue every once in a while. I almost felt like I was in a different world as I squinted my eyes and saw nothing but huge swirls of white coming down all around me. The cold kept me alert and the warmth of my body under all of my layers made me aware of the parts of my body that were uncovered. I could see my breath, and the place was relatively quiet, especially as I approached home. All I could hear was my own breath under my hood and the distant sound of a snowball fight on the castle hill.

The next morning, Jane excitedly shakes me awake, trying to be quiet, but making exaggerated gestures towards the window... After shaking the fuzz from my pre-coffee brain, I realized what must have happened... I peaked out of the curtains, and the city was covered in a beautiful white blanket of snow...

I threw on the first set of clothes that my hands made contact with, struggled in the excitement of it all with my socks and boots, and ran outside to see the whole street, the cars, the buildings, the castle and the hill, the phone booth next to the hostel... it was all covered in snow. It was so BEAUTIFUL. I mean, this is already one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but it is just that much better with the snow over everything.

So, of course, I acted all of eight years old, and skipping all over the city, taking pictures of everything in Edinburgh that I already have pictures of, but this time covered in snow :) Of course, now it has all melted away, but it was beautiful while it lasted. One of my wishes has come true: I got to see Edinburgh covered in snow.

2 Comments:

Blogger zealeus said...

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:39 PM

 
Blogger catherine karas said...

Hey Rachel...it's catherine. Are you still in Edinburgh? How long are you going to be in Europe? I found some amazing deals on Delta, and I was thinking about coming for a visit. My spring break is March 9-17. If so, I have to book the flight by the Feb. 12th. I know this is short notice, but if you get a chance shoot me an email at catherinecauley@mac.com

Thanks

1:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home