Friday, September 22, 2006

My time in Germany

So, I actually never made it all the way to Berlin. I was meant to stop in Dresden for the day on the way from Prague to Berlin and ended up staying for two nights there... I don't know how this always happens to me!!! :)

Lars, one of my roommates from the hostel in Rome lives in Dresden, so he showed me around the city. We sampled the local cuisine, a little of the nightlife, i met his other roommmates (all great people), and I just had a great time there... We went on a bike ride on a path along the river, and it was just one of the most perfect days I have ever had. The path was completely flat, so the pedaling was easy; the weather was absolutely perfect, just the beginning of fall; the scenery was beautiful... palaces, the shining river, other pedestrians walking, biking, roller blading, jogging the whole way. From time to time, Lars would explain things to me about his city (he was a great tour guide :) We talked and laughed and rode for most of the day. A few kilometers down the river was a palace with huge gardens that you could walk through. We parked the bikes and took a ferry across the river to walk through the gardens where I was constantly amazed at how huge they were. Plants, flowers, trees, fountains, ornaments, nice benches in the shade... we could almost picture the royalty walking around hundreds of years ago on these paths, the gentlemen courting the ladies, just like a scene from the movies.

I think we must have left to go back at the perfect time... As we rode back, we watched the sun set behind the river silouetting parts of the ancient city. It was so beautiful it made me want to cry or dance or find some way to express this peace that saturated the evening...



Now I am in Cologne visiting my friend Annika. Even though we haven't seen each other in two years, it feels completely normal to be here with her... we just picked up where we left off. I find myself just walking and talking with her like it is something we get to do every day, only to realize: Oh my god, I am actually in Germany visiting Annika, something we have been planning since the summer we met! She has a great appartment in Cologne, and we share a passionate love of coffee that just makes me happy every morning... She made some great cappucinos for us today :)

So, this afternoon we are off to Amsterdam for the weekend... I have heard great things about this city, and I am excited to find out for myself... I should have some interesting stories when I get back... :)

1 Comments:

Blogger zealeus said...

Yo. When do you make it to your job in London? I have a something to send you which reminds me of you that you should appreciate. Also, one of my two bosses said I could take a week off for London. Though the other still doesn't want to let me go. Yargggg.

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home