Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Falling in love with Venice

After a day in Verona to ease myself back into the big cities, I arrived in Venice today. After about three hours of walking around and getting lost and then found again, I am already falling in love with this place. It is unlike any city I have every seen before. There are no cars or buses, everything is on the water. As I walked out of the train station this morning, the Grand Canal was directly in front of me, and as I am trying to learn my way around this city, I find that I count bridges and canals instead of traffic signs and addresses.

After I dropped off my luggage, I got some coffee and sat on the street listening to some street musicians, classical guitar and violin, and just sat and enjoyed the moment. Since then, I have just been walking around, visiting various places of interest, trying to get my bearings around this city. Tomorrow I will probably put together some sort of plan for the day, but for today, I am enjoying just wandering around the streets, along the canals, taking in the atmosphere of Venice.

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

No cars at all? Man, that's wild! So did you get to go on some boat rides I presume?

7:09 AM

 
Blogger zealeus said...

I can still remember taking the train from Vien to Venice and how things looked when stepping out of the train station in Venice. Truely a beautiful city! I forget what it's called, but you need to visit their palace-type place with an open space in the middle where all the pigeons come. We've all seen pictures of it happening, but it's a whole other story when you see it in person!

If you loko hard enough, you might find where I accidently stepped in some freshly-laid cement by accident only for Charlie and I to be chased down the street by one pissed-off cement dude.

10:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home