Friday, September 08, 2006

The Tuscan countryside

Florence has been wonderful so far... My hostel very nice, with a garden, huge breakfast, big rooms and bathrooms, walls that you can write on and a nice common room where have met tons of really interesting people from all over the world.

Tongight is my last night here, so here are my favorite things from Florence.

* seeing the statue of David, a pretty surreal experience to see the most recognized statue in the world

* watching the sunset over Florence with some friends I met from the hostel. (Yes, I know I am a sucker for a nice sunset, especially over a beautiful Italian city)!
But it was another memorale, fabulous night as we talked and watched the sunset over the river, and got to see this beautiful scene that has inspired so many aritists here. Somehow we passed several hours there chatting away about everything, from Italian men to salami to our dreams for the future. On the way back, the streets were still crowded, many people just going out for the evening. As we were walking along, we stumbled onto some musicians playing a concert in the street. One was playing guitar and the other violin, and together with the Italian lyrics, it was just beautiful. We searched for a place to sit among the people crowded in the street and the stairs of surrounding buildings, and just stayed there enjoying the scene for quite some time.

* And, today, maybe my favorite thing in Florence: the Tuscan countryside.
I rented a bike and took off to explore the countryside (with a sort of planned route, of course). I know I say this about everything, but it is true, it was just beautiful. There were vinyards and grapes and olives and huge old wineries in every direction for as far as you can see... Most of the time I could not decide which side of the road to look on, both were so beautiful. The sun was shining, everything was green, and it was almost as good as bike riding in Rentz (ha, ha... that was for you Daddy!) I was gone all day, about 60 kilometers, through small Tuscan towns that looked like postcards, up and down hills, through vinyards...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home