Thursday, September 14, 2006

Feed the birds, toppins a bag...

Ok, so, if you do not recognize my lryics, they are from Mary Poppins, and I have had that song stuck in my head for about 24 hours now! It all started yesterday when I visited San Marcos Square (yes, John, the place with all the pigeons, although I did not see any footprints in the cement anywhere :)

I have heard this place described as this magical, mysterious place different from any other in guidebooks before, but did not really understand exactly what was meant by this. But it is. It just feels different as soon as you walk into the square. You are surrounded by huge palaces with shops and restaurants on three sides, and then an elaborate basilica and belltower in the middle. The center is a huge open space, at least the size of a football field where there are just tons and tons of people and pigeons.

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this, but you can buy birdseed, and hold it in your hands with your arms outstretched, and the pidgeons will just come and perch on your arms and shoulders and head, pretty much anywhere there is a spot for them to land. I had a fun time just watching other people do it, especially some of the women. They would hold out their hands with birdseed, and 1a swarm of birds all fly towards them trying to land on them. For some people, it would just be a little more pigeon than they would want, and I saw a couple of women just start shrieking and running... I tried not to let them see me laughing :)

After this, you can go to the top of the belltower and see out over the entire city. The view there is amazing... a completely different perspective to see all of the canals and sidewalks and buildings from overhead... it looks very different, but very beautiful, of course.

Today, I am finding it much easier to get around here, and have not even gotten lost once yet (yay for me!). I had some of the best coffee this morning, and now I am energized and off to take in a palace or museum or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home