Monday, August 21, 2006

Turkish coffee and fortune telling, a charming tradition

The closest thing to the "regular" coffee that I am used to is referred to as Turkish coffee here. It is a bit stronger than Folgers, but not nearly as strong as a shot of expresso. I drink it in a regular sized coffee cup, and I am beginning to like it more and more. The thing with Turkish coffee is that the last sip in the bottom of the cup is this thick goo stuff that you definitely don't want to drink.

My best friend of Sneska's is Bokki, and she taught me this great tradition with the thick goo stuff at the bottom of Turkish coffee: When you are finished drinking the coffee, you turn your cup upside down on the saucer, so the charred black remains slowly drizzle down the sides of the cup. After that, you can read your fortune from designs left on the inside of the cup. I read Bokki's fortune, and from what she says, I am pretty good :) The first thing you do, is you look on the inside of the cup for shapes, designs, or animals... any type of symbol that you can put a meaning with. I found some dark patches that meant that she would go through some hard times; but in the middle of the dark patches were a lighter spot, meaning that she would have many friends to help her through them. You get the idea. After this, Bokki swept up some goo on her index finger and made three fingerprints on the outside of the cup. The fingerprint in the middle sybolized her and the two other fingerprints symbolized two other people (she wouldn't tell me who). Then I had to tell her about her relationships with the other people (whether they were looking towards her or away from her, how they feel about her, how she feels about them, ect.) I know this probably sounds silly, but it was so fun... Another possible profession for me: Rachel, the Turkish coffee fortune teller :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home